Monday, October 24, 2005

Destruction

Will post more later but needless to say the news from the Yucatan isn't good. The hurricane stalled over Playa del Carmen and Cancun causing major damage and a number of deaths. Casualties seem to have been limited by a co-rodinated evacuation and use of storm shelters.

Isla Mujeres suffered badly - there are reports the island is now divided in three parts by the water. However resorts south of Playa del Carmen seem to have got off lighter with some hotels reporting that they will reopen for business in just over a weeks time. Presumably it will take longer to fix things in PdC and Cancun.

Flights to Cancun are scheduled to restart around 27th Oct, but it all seems a bit up in the air. TV here in the UK has shown pictures of basic rations being handed out as well as all the expected pictures of devestation.

The manager of one of the PdC resorts has posted a series of pics showing the kind of damage at the following link:

  • Playa del Carmen post-Wilma


  • I haven't had a chance yet to decide exactlly how this is going to affect my plans but I strongly suspect I'll have to scratch the Yucutan tour from my itinerary. Not really sure what the new plan will be although possibly more time travelling around
    Chiapas, a trip to Veracruz and maybe even Acapulco. Might cancel plans for a second Spanish school. Probably will leave a final decision until when I get to Oaxaca.

    Obviously my travel plans fade into insignificance compared to the fate of the Yucutan residents - but personally it's a big shame that my trip up and down the east coast has become incredibly unlikely.

    1 comment:

    Angela Hemming said...

    You have a fantastic blog and I have linked it to mine. I'm going to Oaxaca at xmas (from Canada) and I've used your extensive links list to plan. I decided a couple of months ago not to go to Yucatan because of hurricane activity -- looks like I made a good choice! But there's plenty to keep me occupied in Oaxaca for 2 weeks and I hear it's beautiful.

    Hasta la vista!