Monday, October 10, 2005

Nice Break

Just back from a very relaxing very long weekend (Wednesday-Sunday) at Grasse, near Nice in the South of France.


The town is famous for its perfumeries, but to be honest I spent very little time exploring the area outside the residence we were staying at because it was way too blissful to make the effort! Swimming pool, kitchen, balcony, amazing views, good company and some of the best food I've eaten in ages. Swear I must have put on kilos.


It also meant the opportunity to play LOADS of drinking games including Mafia, Wink Murder, La Di Da (with several squashed madeline/fairy cakes as a result), The Vegetable game, Trotsky and many others - good revision for Mexico I hope


The weekend was organised by an old university buddy called Martin who used to head up the team developing a sequel to Tellytubbies but since has gone it alone as a freelance photographer for reasons too complicated (and far fetched) to detail here.


He's very talented - and has been booked to do a couple of magazine shoots - but seems to be developing a career in children's photography which seems to involve an unhealthy amount of time passing out leaflets at the legal distance outside of school gates. He's also available for weddings!

Check out his stuff at:

  • Martin Usborne

  • And here's a couple of pics I grabbed of him:
















    Anyway the house belongs to his father who rents it out as a bed and breakfast (highly reco- mmended!!!) and Martin's been organising a group of friends to visit every year - this is the first I've succumbed to the temptation and I'm glad I did. Although it means I've potentially a few days less leave to enjoy in Mexico I'm now completely relaxed for the first time in ages.

    Amazing how even 5 days away can give a bit of distance and the ability to disconnect from everyday crap. The time away also gave me an opportunity to do tonnes of Spanish revision (the other reason I didn't venture out much) and in particular a chance to wrestle with prepositions which I've always found quite hard to get right.
















    No one grammar book seems to contain all the necessary information, but I'd highly recommend combining:

  • Juan Kattan-Ibarra & Christopher J. Pountain's 'Modern Spanish Grammar 2nd edition'
  • (the best grammar reference book out there by far - and I've bought loads)

    AND

  • The Oxford Spanish Grammar Guide

  • For some reason sitting out in the afternoon sun with a glass of wine and open books is so much easier to do than when scrunched up against a radiator in cold Edinburgh ;)


    Meantime the weather in Mexico has un- fortunately been a lot more rough. Having been away from the papers for a few days I only discovered this afternoon that Hurrican Stan has wreaked damage across the Chiapas region as well as the awful mudslides in Guatamala

  • BBC News - Hurricane Stan overview


  • BBC News - Hurricane Stan Tapachula Report


  • BBC News - Hurricane Stan Initial Report

  • It seems awful to be worrying about what impact this will have on travel plans when there are people out there injured or dead. The best that can be said is that at least it didn't slam into the city of Veracruz as first forecast.

    I guess this is one of the problems with blogs - you don't want to come across like a selfish idiot, but of course events like this do make you wonder whether your planned travel route needs to be amended. Discussion boards like the following seem to suggest the major bus routes are now working again.

  • Thorn Tree - Hurricane Impact

  • As I understand it hurricane season is usually lasts from early September to late October - for the sake of all I hope this year's overactive weather has now done its worst in the region.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hi, my friend told me about your blog you have here and I too think it's great. I really like it when people compliment my blog so I'm doing that for you. Hope you don't mind, I bookmarked your site.
    I too have a site about Rash Guards and spf clothing, and some other things. Feel free to check it out. It isn't anything special but if you have an interest in surfing, sports apparel or Rash Guards you may find it useful. Tyler - to go to my site click kids rashguards